When people hear me refer to #1, they think I mean he was the best. Actually he was probably the worst. I just call him that because he was the first guy I was going to date after having my heart broken.
I knew it would do me no good to sit home and feel sorry for myself. The best way to get over my sadness was to get myself back out in the dating world. So I signed up for two online dating sites. I created what I thought was a nice profile and added some current pictures. I used my real age because I am truthful. Once the profile was posted, I started receiving Winks from men who were interested in me. I’ll admit, at first it was kind of fun. I read every profile and looked at lots of pictures of lonely old men taking their photos in the bathroom mirror. Ugh. I clicked the polite “Thanks, but not interested” link. Delete, delete, delete.
I used the search feature to find men that I was interested. My membership required me to contact 5 members each month anyway. So I started writing to a few men. I really put effort in these messages. I wrote letters describing what I liked about their profiles and ways that I would fit into their lives. I was witty. I was clever. I was pretty. I was available. I hit send and anxiously awaited their responses. Who wouldn’t want to go out with me? And then I waited more. I could see they read my messages…but no response. Really? That’s when I realized it wasn’t enough that *I* liked them. They had to like me too. Maybe I needed to look at those bathroom mirror pictures again.
Eventually, a guy contacted me and he was acceptable. Not hot, not perfect, but he seemed nice. We corresponded back and forth over about a week. Eventually we decided we should meet. He suggested coffee and we decided on a time and location. We exchanged phone numbers…just in case. A few hours before our meeting, he txt’d me saying he was running late at the uniform store (he was a cop and just starting a new job). I told him I would be available after 4 when my kids go back to their dad. He said, “it’s our first date!”
Then nothing. I kept waiting for him to let me know what time he finished and would be available. After awhile, I worried that maybe he misunderstood my txt and thought we were actually meeting at 4. So I txt’d him. I also called and left a message. Nothing. I sent an email from the dating site.
Nothing. Wow. I had never been stood up in my entire life. Here is the first date I’ve had. I’m nervous and excited. And I got stood up.
Several months later, I received an email from him on the dating site. No explanations. Just popped in saying hi and asking how things are going. I responded and told him he had some nerve contacting me after what he did to me and asked him to never contact me again.
He’s a dick. He still sends me messages every few months. I just delete them and remember how my single life began.
No comments:
Post a Comment